Wednesday 13 February 2013

Mardi Gras, Oh Mercredi Gras aussi

The thing about the food here is that it's Mardi Gras everyday.

We had a splash of pancake mix left, enough to make 3 and a disaster so for stuffed pancake leftovers, I whipped up some extra mix and tossed six perfect little rounds onto a dish. This is how I made the filling:

2 x tubs of corner shop special soft cream cheese (I only used one tub)
1/2 small tub of soured cream
1/2 punnet of finely chopped mushrooms
1/2 pot of fresh grated Parmesan
2 finely chopped spring onions
Squished garlic, black pepper and grating of fresh nutmeg
A couple of nuggets of frozen spinach (from the Ice Age by the looks of them)

I beat these ingredients together and thickened a little with some cornflour to make it gloopy. I left it to look at the pancakes for a bit.

Into my pancake (lazy) pan, I poured a box of sieved tomatoes, added cayenne pepper, plenty of ordinary pepper, a squirt of Daddy's sauce and let it simmer for 5 mins or so.

The ceramic dish went in to the hot oven until it was burny handy, then I ladled a bit of the tomato mix into it so the bottom was covered. Taking the first pancake, I placed an amount down the middle, rolled it up on the thigh of a maiden and placed in the dish. I repeated this 5 more times and then ladled more tomato over the top. Then sprinkled the top with the rest of the Parmesan.

Place in the hot oven until it looks appetising. My goodness that smells good!


No comments:

Post a Comment